Preventing Common Thanksgiving Injuries
Thanksgiving is the official start of the Holiday Season. This American holiday is the perfect excuse to spend time with your family and friends. Let’s take some time to prepare a safe and happy time with our friends and family by preventing common Thanksgiving injuries.
At Altus Emergency Centers we are always looking for ways to keep you and your loved ones safe in whatever you do, whether you are cooking a feast, carving the turkey, or tackling your siblings and friends at the annual family football game, safety is critical!
Injury Prevention Tips
Thanksgiving day is a busy day for the entire family. Having a plan well in advance can help reduce stress levels and prevent accidents.
Here are a few tips to keep you out of our ER’s this Thanksgiving Day! Please take the time to share them with your friends and family so we may all do our part in preventing common Thanksgiving injuries.
Preventing Injuries in The Kitchen
- Some turkeys are massive, so remember to lift with your legs, not your back!
- When taking the turkey out of the oven, make sure you have cleared a space to place it, so you don’t have to scramble with a hot turkey pan while you find a place to set it
- Keep pot handles away from the edge of the stove to prevent accidentally knocking pots over
- Use potholders when checking the turkey and only grab pots and pans by their handles
- Keep a fire extinguisher close to the kitchen just in case something catches fire
Preventing Sports Injuries
If part of your Thanksgiving tradition involves a friendly game of flag football, then you need to be extra careful.
In the best-case scenario, you will end up a little sore from the physical exertion; in the worst case you could end up in one of our ER’s with an ankle injury, a hand or knee sprain, or even a broken bone. To prevent this, it’s a good idea to:
- Start working out before your annual game; even some gentle physical activity can prepare your body and help prevent injuries
- Avoid tackle football, instead convince your playmates to go for a friendly game of tag or flag football
- Wear appropriate clothes and shoes
- Warm-up with some jumping jacks, a little jog, and always remember to stretch before and after a workout
- Don’t play sports if you have been drinking
- If you feel pain, stop playing. If the pain is severe come to the nearest Altus Emergency Center for evaluation
Preventing Carving Injuries
These simple knife tips will help keep all your fingers intact this year:
- Focus on what you are doing don’t let anyone distract you while slicing food
- Don’t rush, take your time while carving the turkey, or ham. Also don’t hurry your knife work when you are preparing the dishes
- Make sure your knife is sharp, most accidents happen when using blunt or dull knives
- Place the cutting board or plate on a non-slip surface to anchor it. Never try carving a turkey on a slippery surface
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
Preventing Alcohol-Related Injuries
It’s okay to want to have a good time in the company of friends and family, but remember to drink responsibly.
- If you are taking any medications, speak to your doctor to see if there could be any negative side-effects from mixing your meds with alcohol
- Don’t drink and drive
- Drunk driving accidents peak during the Holiday Season – protect yourself and plan ahead
Altus Emergency Centers would like to remind you that you are the reason someone is thankful this year. Do everyone a favor, and stay safe this Thanksgiving, this way we can all have even more to be grateful for!
Altus Emergency Centers Texas
is Here for You 24/7
Altus Emergency Centers are all open 24/7/365, with no lines. Our facilities are well-equipped to diagnose and treat everything from major to minor adult and pediatric emergencies. We are honored to be a part of our beautiful Texas communities and work hard each day to help see them grow and prosper!
24 Hour ER Services – Best in Texas
Looking for the best quality 24 hour ER services?
We offer the best freestanding 24 hour ER services in Texas. We have top-of-the-line medical technology and highly experienced ER healthcare experts ready to help you get well fast in Baytown, Lake Jackson, Lumberton, and Waxahachie.
Each ER team is highly efficient in treating chest and abdominal pains, pediatric emergencies, flu symptoms, sports injuries, bone breaks, and fractures, as well as all other major and minor injuries. All services are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays with little to no wait times. After You Receive Quality ER Care, our Patient Advocate will help ensure Hassle-Free Billing.
Our Promise is to Always Help Find the Best Solutions for the Benefit of our Patients from the time you walk in without having to wait in line and when you are personally assisted with the billing process. We are here to help you get well and stay well!