When you or someone you love experience chest pain, the first thing that comes to mind is it could be a heart attack, however, according to the CDC, it is estimated that only 13% of ER visits for chest pain turn out to be caused by serious heart-related illnesses. When the diagnoses do reveal a serious heart problem the most frequent causes are:
- Heart Attack: Direct blockage of blood flow to the heart muscle.
- Angina: Blockage in the blood vessels that lead to the heart.
- Myocarditis: Inflammation of the heart.
- Pericarditis: Inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart.
- Cardiomyopathy: Disease of the heart muscle.