We have excellent news for newly diagnosed COVID-19 patients. Altus Emergency Centers is now authorized to provide a new, highly effective treatment to qualifying patients that can significantly reduce the risk of developing severe illness.
REGEN-COV™ (casirivimab and imdevimab) is an FDA approved investigational medicine antibody treatment for COVID-19.
About REGEN-COV, What it Means to You and Your Family
What Is REGEN-COV ?
Casirivimab/imdevimab, sold under the brand name REGEN-COV is an FDA-authorized investigational medicine antibody therapy for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in adults and adolescents (12 years of age and older who weigh at least 88 pounds (40kg) who are at high risk for severe COVID-19. Source: Regeneron
How Does REGEN-COV therapy work?
REGEN-COV is an antibody cocktail that combines two monoclonal antibodies: casirivimab and imdevimab.
These two man-made monoclonal antibodies were designed to produce resistance against the SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
When infected with a virus such as SARS-CoV2, which causes COVID-19, our immune system reacts by creating antibodies to fight it off. However, it takes time for our immune system to make antibodies, and in the meantime, we could get gravely sick.
REGEN-COV contains man-made antibodies that are very similar to the antibodies of recovered COVID-19 patients. By injecting these antibodies or administrating them, we can give our immune system a head start and allow it sufficient time to create our own antibodies.
It’s important to know that REGEN-COV does not have any COVID-19 virus in it.
Who Qualifies for This New Antibody Therapy?
REGEN-COV is not for everyone.
REGEN-COV is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued Emergency Use Authorization.
Patients must be 12 years of age or older and patients must weigh at least 88 pounds. The list of potential qualifying individuals includes those 65 years of age and older and patients with certain chronic medical conditions.
Who are at High Risk for Severe COVID-19 Complications?
The following medical conditions or other factors may place adults and pediatric patients (age 12-17 years and weighing at least 40 kg) at higher risk for progression to severe COVID-19:
- Older age (for example, age ≥65 years of age)
- Obesity or being overweight (for example, BMI >25 kg/m2, or if age 12-17, have BMI ≥85th percentile for their age and gender-based on CDC growth charts
- Chronic kidney disease
- Immunosuppressive disease or immunosuppressive treatment
- Cardiovascular disease (including congenital heart disease) or hypertension
- Chronic lung diseases (for example, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma [moderate-to-severe], interstitial lung disease, cystic fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension)
- Sickle cell disease
- Neurodevelopmental disorders (for example, cerebral palsy) or other conditions that confer medical complexity (for example, genetic or metabolic syndromes and severe congenital anomalies)
- Having a medical-related technological dependence (for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID 19))
Tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have any allergies
- Have had a severe allergic reaction including anaphylaxis to REGEN-COV previously
- Have received a COVID-19 vaccine
- Have any serious illnesses
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
- Are taking any medications (prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal products)
While not all patients will qualify for the treatment, doctors at Altus Emergency Centers and Lumberton Hospital will provide medical screening for any COVID-19 patient.
If our doctors determine you are a candidate for REGEN-COV therapy, then they will issue the therapeutic and administer it while being a patient in our facility.
This therapeutic medication is for our patients receiving emergency services. When a patient comes into our facility for a COVID-19 emergency, they will have the opportunity to receive REGEN-COV if they meet the criteria.
As in all medications, please feel free to consult with the physician as to a potential list of side effects.
COVID-19 Emergency This therapeutic medication is for our patients receiving emergency services. When a patient comes into our facility for a COVID-19 emergency, they will have the opportunity to receive REGEN-COV if they are positive for Covid-19 and meet the criteria set. As in all medications, please feel free to consult with the physician as to a potential list of side effects.
Looking for ER Care right now?
Get quality and affordable 24/7 ER Care without the lines.
In case of an emergency, stop and remain calm. We’re open 24 hours, 7 days a week and there is little to no wait. Visit our Find an ER immediately to find your nearest Altus Emergency Center.
On Site Technology
“Where Technology meets ER Services, Without the Wait.”
Our Mission is to Save Lives
When It’s More Than Urgent
At Altus Emergency Center, we treat a wide variety of ER situations through top notch healthcare technology and ongoing innovations.
If you need help. We are here for you. Visit your nearest Altus ER Center today!
Want to know more about Altus ER? Step inside Altus with the ER Insider. It’s the best place to keep up to date with all of the latest News, Events and Community Projects. Also follow and like each of the social media pages of each of our Altus Emergency Center locations.