Why You Need to Wash Your Hands
Remember when you were little, and your parents told you to wash your hands? Well, they were right to do so!
It turns out a square inch of skin on our hands can be home to an estimated 1,500 bacteria. Some of these are beneficial to us, but the ones that are not can really make us sick.
Bacteria and viruses are microscopic, which means we can’t see them with the naked eye. While some germs peacefully co-exist with us, most are foreign bodies we pick up from handling everyday items like our cell phones, door handles, shopping carts, and even our toothbrush.
The simplest and best way to prevent bacteria-related illnesses and other infectious diseases is to wash your hands with soap and water.
How Washing Your Hands Can Prevent Illnesses
Washing your hands with soap helps remove germs. Removing harmful bacteria from your hands can help prevent infections.
We are always using our hands even without realizing it. If we touch our eyes, mouth, or nose with dirty hands, germs can quickly enter our system.
Here are a few facts about how having clean hands can reduce illness:
- Proper handwashing can reduce diarrheal disease-related deaths by up to 50%
- Researchers estimate that regular hand washes can help prevent one million deaths a year
- Washing your hands can reduce the risk of respiratory infections by 16%
- Contaminated hands are one of the leading causes of foodborne disease outbreaks
While the most common form of hand sanitizing is soap and water, alcohol-based gel hand sanitizers have proven to be an excellent way to reduce the overall absenteeism in schools due to infection.
The Proper Way to Wash Your Hands
Altus Emergency Centers is committed to safeguarding the health of the community we serve.
There are many benefits to learning the correct way to wash your hands, including:
- It reduces the number of diarrhea cases by 23-40%
- It lowers diarrheal illnesses in patients with a weakened immune system by 58%
- It reduces the spread of respiratory diseases like colds by up to 21%
- It can help reduce schoolchildren’s absenteeism due to gastrointestinal illness by as much as 57%
- It can help protect one out of every three young children from getting sick with diarrhea, and almost one out of five young kids from contracting respiratory infections like pneumonia
- It may help improve early child development
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends you wash your hands during these times:
- Before, during, and after preparing food
- Before and after eating food
- Before and after tending a cut or wound
- After using the toilet
- After changing a baby’s diaper
- After helping a child use the bathroom
- After sneezing, blowing your nose, or coughing
- After touching an animal, its food or waste
- After handling pet food or pet treats
- After touching garbage
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
5 Steps to Wash Your Hands
- Wet your hands
- Lather with plenty of soap. Lather the back of your hands, in between your fingers, and under your nails
- Scrub at least 20 seconds
- Rinse off the soap with water
- Dry your hands
Helping you stay safe and healthy is our priority, and when prevention fails, we will be here to help you get healthy once again.
There’s No Time to Wait in an Emergency!
WHEN THERE’S NO TIME TO WASTE, TRY OUR ONLINE CHECK-IN
Altus Emergency Centers Texas
is Here for You 24/7
Altus Emergency Centers are all open 24/7/365, with no lines. Our facilities are well-equipped to diagnose and treat everything from major to minor adult and pediatric emergencies. We are honored to be a part of our beautiful Texas communities and work hard each day to help see them grow and prosper!
24 Hour ER Services – Best in Texas
Looking for the best quality 24 hour ER services?
We offer the best freestanding 24 hour ER services in Texas. We have top of the line medical technology and highly experienced ER healthcare experts prepped and ready to come to your aid in Baytown, Lake Jackson, Lumberton, and Waxahachie.
Each ER team is highly efficient in treating chest and abdominal pains, pediatric emergencies, flu symptoms, sports injuries, bone breaks, and fractures, as well as all other major and minor injuries. All services are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays with little to no wait times. After You Receive Quality ER Care, our Patient Advocate will help ensure Hassle-Free Billing.
Our Promise is to Always Help Find the Best Solutions in Benefit of our Patients from the time you walk-in without having to wait in line and when you are personally assisted with the billing process. We are here to help you get well and stay well!