Summer Vacation Safety Tips
Summer vacation is a time for relaxation and outdoor fun, but it’s also a time to be extra cautious. Unfortunately, summer vacation safety is usually the last thing on anyone’s mind.
It doesn’t matter if you are going away on vacation, or planning the ultimate staycation this summer, safety should always come first!
Here are some of our best summer vacation safety tips for staying healthy during a busy summer.
Stay Safe on the Road
If your plans involve driving this summer, here are a few helpful tips to keep you safe and make sure you get to your destination as scheduled.
- Get your car serviced before you head out. Regular maintenance such as tune-ups, oil changes, battery checks, and tire rotation go a long way toward preventing breakdowns
- Check your tire pressure, wear and make sure your spear tire is in good condition
- Make sure all the lights in your vehicle are working, including your headlights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, and internal lights as well. If you are towing a trailer, make sure the lights on it are also functioning
- Check your radiator, make sure it doesn’t have any leaks, and it has the fluids and coolant needed for your engine to work properly
- Inspect your wiper blades for signs of wear and tear, replace them if they do.
- Check you’re A/C! A faulty air conditioning on a hot summer day can affect people especially children and older adults as well as pets
- All passengers must wear their seat belts while the car is in motion
- Always respect road signals and remember to share the road
- Never drink alcohol while driving
Beware of the Sun
Everyone wants to have that kissed by the sun look during summer. But regardless of how nice a suntan might seem; the truth is when your skin tans it’s a sign of sun damage.
Exposing yourself to too much sun can cause wrinkles, and worst of all, it raises your risk of developing skin cancer.
To protect yourself, remember to:
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher and reapply at least every two hours
- Wear sunglasses and look for sunglasses with a UVA/UVB rating of 100% to get the most UV protection.
- Wear protective clothing
- Stay out of the sun during the peak hours of 10 am and 4 pm
We know we have talked about the importance of staying hydrated before. However, since it can be challenging to stay hydrated while we are on vacation, we feel it bears mention again.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages as these can cause dehydration
- Eat plenty of fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
Exercise with Caution
We always recommend you stay active year-round. However, during the hot summer months, you should exercise early in the morning when the temperatures are lower, and the sun rays are less intense.
To avoid the painful muscle spasms known as heat cramps, try drinking an electrolyte beverage. Sports drinks will replace the salt and other minerals lost during perspiration.
Beware of Critters
Bugs can be annoying, but their bites can be painful and, in some cases, serious health risks. Mosquitos and ticks can transmit diseases, so it is best to repel them as much as possible by using insect repellent.
The EPA recommends the following safety points:
- Read the instructions before you apply repellent to ensure you know how much to use
- Only apply repellents to exposed skin or clothing, not under clothing
- Don’t use on cuts, wounds or irritated skin
- Do not let children handle repellents, and don’t apply to their hands
- Apply to hands and then apply on the face. Don’t apply or spray directly onto your face
- You should avoid breathing sprays so don’t spray repellent in enclosed areas, or around food
Check Your Medications Before You Go
If you take prescription drugs for any condition, make sure you pack enough of them to last the whole trip.
Take into consideration the storing conditions your medication needs. For example, some medications need to be refrigerated; others might be more sensitive to sunlight.
Vacation time is full of activities, and because of this, it is easy to forget your medication, but you should take special care not to skip a dose.
At Altus Emergency Centers, we are always open to treat any emergency. Remember if you use our online check-in form, we will be waiting for you at the door.
There is nothing wrong with an occasional indulgence during your vacation. However, you should try to keep your portions in check and avoid eating too many high-calorie meals.
When possible, avoid the all you can eat buffets, as the variety of options will make it hard not to overeat.
Staying safe this summer should be your number one goal; however, sometimes, no matter how much we plan accidents happen. That is why Altus Emergency Centers has locations throughout East Texas, remember we are always near you in times of need.
Altus Emergency Centers Texas
is Here for You 24/7
Altus Emergency Centers are all open 24/7/365, with no lines. Our facilities are well-equipped to diagnose and treat everything from major to minor adult and pediatric emergencies. We are honored to be a part of our beautiful Texas communities and work hard each day to help see them grow and prosper!
24 Hour ER Services – Best in Texas
Looking for the best quality 24 hour ER services?
We offer the best freestanding 24 hour ER services in Texas. We have top of the line medical technology and highly experienced ER healthcare experts prepped and ready to come to your aid in Baytown, Lake Jackson, Lumberton, and Waxahachie.
Each ER team is highly efficient in treating chest and abdominal pains, pediatric emergencies, flu symptoms, sports injuries, bone breaks, and fractures, as well as all other major and minor injuries. All services are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays with little to no wait times. After You Receive Quality ER Care, our Patient Advocate will help ensure Hassle-Free Billing.
Our Promise is to Always Help Find the Best Solutions in Benefit of our Patients from the time you walk-in without having to wait in line and when you are personally assisted with the billing process. We are here to help you get well and stay well!