Tips to Avoid Holiday Illnesses and Injuries
The Holiday Season is a time of joy and cheers and for creating beautiful memories with loved ones. But if you are not careful, you can get injured during this busy time, and then we can assure you won’t be laughing all the way, you will be dashing to our emergency room.
Luckily, the experts at Altus Emergency are available to share some safety tips and to get your health back on track if you need it so you can enjoy your holiday season.
Holiday Illnesses and Injuries
Unfortunately, holiday-related injuries are more common than any of us would like. According to an annual report by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Emergency rooms in America attended more than 166,000 toy-related injuries in 2018
- Sadly, 17 children died as a result of their toy-related injury
- Kitchen fires are the leading cause of home fires
- In 2017 there more than 18,000 cases of holiday decorating-related injuries treated in emergency rooms
- In 2018 there were five reported deaths linked to holiday decorating-related injuries
Holiday Safety Tips
Nothing would make us happier than to see all of you happy and healthy spending the Holidays at home. While accidents don’t make any exceptions, there are ways to minimize your risk of injury or illness.
Follow these helpful tips so you can remain injury-free during Christmas, after-Christmas and New Year’s.
Food Safety Tips
Let’s begin food safety with making an attempt to not overeat during this festive time, we know it’s hard but at least try. While at first an upset stomach may not be considered to be counted as an example of a holiday illnesses and injuries, it may be the sign of something more complex. The following are some food safety tips that will help prevent a potential food-related emergency:
- Keep your hands and kitchen surfaces clean
- Keep raw meats, fish, and eggs away from ready-to-eat foods
- Cook foods to the proper temperature
- Put leftovers in the fridge immediately
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
Prevent the Spread of The Common Cold and Flu
- Avoid hugging, kissing, or being close to someone that is coughing or has a runny nose
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water
- Stay home from work, school, or social gatherings when you are sick
Kitchen Safety Tips
During the Holidays, we spend more time in the kitchen, and that increases our risk of getting hurt there. To help prevent cooking-related injuries, keep in mind these tips.
- Don’t leave food unattended when cooking
- Remember to slice away from your hand
- Focus on the task at hand. Distractions cause injuries
- Avoid wearing loose clothing while cooking
- Keep dish towels and food packaging away from heat sources to prevent them from catching on fire
Preventing Holiday Decorating-Related Injuries
Prepping your home for the Holidays can also pose a health hazard. To minimize your risk of injury, remember the following:
- Don’t let anyone inhale artificial snow sprays, as these can irritate the lungs
- Avoid Holiday decorations that are sharp and breakable
- Make sure you use the correct type of decorative lights for your outdoor decorations
- Always have someone help you put up decorations, especially if you are using a ladder
- Check all your Christmas lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, and loose connections
No matter how careful or prepared you think you are, accidents still happen. For that reason, all our facilities will remain open 24/7 during this Holiday Season.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us!
There’s No Time to Wait in an Emergency!
WHEN THERE’S NO TIME TO WASTE, TRY OUR ONLINE CHECK-IN
Altus Emergency Centers Texas
is Here for You 24/7
Altus Emergency Centers are all open 24/7/365, with no lines. Our facilities are well-equipped to diagnose and treat everything from major to minor adult and pediatric emergencies. We are honored to be a part of our beautiful Texas communities and work hard each day to help see them grow and prosper!
24 Hour ER Services – Best in Texas
Looking for the best quality 24 hour ER services?
We offer the best freestanding 24 hour ER services in Texas. We have top of the line medical technology and highly experienced ER healthcare experts prepped and ready to come to your aid in Baytown, Lake Jackson, Lumberton, and Waxahachie.
Each ER team is highly efficient in treating chest and abdominal pains, pediatric emergencies, flu symptoms, sports injuries, bone breaks, and fractures, as well as all other major and minor injuries. All services are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays with little to no wait times. After You Receive Quality ER Care, our Patient Advocate will help ensure Hassle-Free Billing.
Our Promise is to Always Help Find the Best Solutions in Benefit of our Patients from the time you walk-in without having to wait in line and when you are personally assisted with the billing process. We are here to help you get well and stay well!