We Care for Our Military and Their Families
The very nature of the job of a military person means they will face daily challenges. However, no service member should ever have to worry about their healthcare needs or those of his family being met, especially during an emergency. It shouldn’t be a challenge to find TRICARE ER Family Care.
A report by news agency Reuters explains how a study revealed how American families with military healthcare are more likely to experience difficulties with healthcare access.
If you are looking for TRICARE ER Family Care, you’ve found it! Altus Emergency Centers has been a proud TRICARE provider for many years. We believe our brave men and women in uniform should receive the best emergency medical care possible. That is why all our locations accept TRICARE patients.
The following are some frequently asked questions to help shed light on TRICARE ER Family Care and coverage for veterans, active military, and their families.
Does Your TRICARE Healthcare Plan Cover Emergency Care?
TRICARE emergency care coverage includes professional and institutional charges as well as services and supplies administered or prescribed in the emergency room.
TRICARE is very clear that in the event of a medical emergency, you should call 911 and visit an ER, not an urgent care clinic.
Moreover, emergency room care does not require prior authorization. However, TRICARE Prime plan members must contact their primary care provider within 24 hours or the next business day after receiving emergency care at one of our ER centers.
What Does TRICARE Consider an Emergency?
TRICARE covers three types of medical emergencies:
TRICARE defines a medical emergency as the sudden and unexpected onset of an illness or injury or the worsening of a chronic condition that:
- Is life-threatening,
- Could cause the loss or severe impairment of a limb or eyesight
- Requires immediate medical attention
- Manifests painful symptoms requiring medical care to alleviate suffering
These are some examples of medical emergencies covered by TRICARE:
- Cardiac Arrest (No pulse)
- Injuries with Severe Bleeding
- Spinal Cord, Neck or Back injuries
- Severe Chest Pain
- Severe Eye Injuries
- Broken Bone
- Trouble Breathing
A maternity emergency applies to any circumstance that results in a medical complication which puts the mother or baby at risk.
Mental Health Emergencies
TRICARE patients diagnosed with a mental disorder can visit our ER when they are thought to be a risk to themselves or others.
Emergency room care does not require prior authorization. However, if the patient is admitted to the hospital as a result of their psychiatric emergency, the incident must be reported to the regional contractor within 24 hours of admission and no more than 72 hours after admission.
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
Are Pediatric Emergencies Covered?
TRICARE offers several healthcare plans some of which include benefits for family members including children.
- TRICARE Prime: This is available to active duty and retired service members and their families
- TRICARE Select: Active duty and retired service members and their families as well as active and non-active reserve, and retired reserve members and their families are eligible
- TRICARE For Life: Available for beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B
- TRICARE Reserve Select: Intended for members of the Selected Reserve and their families. Recipients must meet certain qualifications
- TRICARE Retired Select: Available to qualified Retired Reserve members and their families
- TRICARE Young Adult: This plan is for unmarried or adult children of an eligible sponsor. Beneficiaries must be at least 21 years of age and no older than 26
For more information on TRICARE healthcare plans, please visit: https://tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans
TRICARE members can trust their children’s emergency care to us. All our Emergency Centers have certified pediatric emergency physicians and nurses on staff 24/7 to attend pediatric emergencies. We also provide separate, dedicated pediatric examining rooms and equipment.
At Altus Emergency Centers, we strongly believe the members of our military deserve the best. We provide them the peace of mind of knowing their loved ones are safe and cared for with compassion by professionals who care.
For this reason, we provide the best emergency care to all members of our military branches and their families.