4th of July Fireworks Safety Guide
Each year we get together with our friends and family to celebrate the birth of our Nation with BBQ’s, parades, and of course fireworks.
But before we start our nationwide party and our fireworks safety guide, we should all take a few moments to reflect on how lucky we are to live in this great country.
We think a big part of what helps make this country great, are the brave men and women of our armed forces.
They help safeguard our freedoms and way of life, risking everything for this amazing land. Today we ask that you join us to celebrate and thank our military for all that they do.
At Altus Emergency Centers, we are proud to be a TRICARE provider. Everyday our men and women in uniform go to work to defend us all, and we would like them to know that we are here for them and their loved ones in the event of a medical emergency.
Firework Injury Report
We all look forward to the fireworks display on the 4th of July but should never forget how dangerous fireworks can be.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has just published its 2018 Fireworks Annual Report.
Here are some of the findings that led us to spread awareness on fireworks safety:
- There were 9,100 estimated ER treated firework-related injuries
- An estimated 5,600 fireworks-related injuries (or 62 % fireworks-related injuries in 2018) were treated in U.S. emergency rooms between June 22 and July 22, 2018
- More than 44% of firework-related injuries were burns
- At least 5 people died from firework-related injuries in 2018
- Roughly half of the ER treated injuries involved people younger than 20
Here is the break down of the most injured body parts:
28% Hands and Fingers
15% Head, Face, and Ears
10% Trunks and Other
Help Us Prevent Fireworks-Related Injuries and Deaths
4th of July Fireworks Safety Tips:
You can help us reduce the amount of fireworks-related injuries and deaths with these simple 4th of July fireworks safety tips:
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks, not even sparklers
- Older children should only use them under close adult supervision
- Never use fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Wear protective eyewear while handling or standing near fireworks
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
- Never ignite them indoors
- Keep fireworks away from people, houses and flammable materials
- Never aim or throw fireworks at people or animals
- Don’t place your body directly over the device when lighting the fuse
- Only burn one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite them in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle faulty fireworks
- Soak spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Have water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire
- Don’t buy fireworks that are packaged in brown paper. These are usually made for professional displays, and they could be dangerous
- Never use illegal fireworks
Know Where to Go in Case of an Emergency.
What to Do in Case of a Firework-Related Injury
If the unthinkable happens here is what you need to do:
- Come to the nearest Altus Emergency Center to receive an injury evaluation and treatment
- In case of an eye injury, don’t try to flush the wound with water or apply ointment. Instead, cover the eye and seek immediate medical attention at our nearest ER center
- If the injury is a burn, remove the clothing surrounding the injured area and run cool, not cold water over the wound. Then head to our nearest ER center as fast as possible.
Firework-related injuries can be prevented, let’s do our best to keep our families safe during the 4th of July celebrations.
As always, all Altus Emergency Centers will be open during the holiday to treat any emergencies. Remember, we accept most private insurance and TRICARE patients.
Altus Emergency Centers Texas
is Here for You 24/7
Altus Emergency Centers are all open 24/7/365, with no lines. Our facilities are well-equipped to diagnose and treat everything from major to minor adult and pediatric emergencies. We are honored to be a part of our beautiful Texas communities and work hard each day to help see them grow and prosper!
24 Hour ER Services – Best in Texas
Looking for the best quality 24 hour ER services?
We offer the best freestanding 24 hour ER services in Texas. We have top of the line medical technology and highly experienced ER healthcare experts prepped and ready to come to your aid in Baytown, Lake Jackson, Lumberton, and Waxahachie.
Each ER team is highly efficient in treating chest and abdominal pains, pediatric emergencies, flu symptoms, sports injuries, bone breaks, and fractures, as well as all other major and minor injuries. All services are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays with little to no wait times. After You Receive Quality ER Care, our Patient Advocate will help ensure Hassle-Free Billing.
Our Promise is to Always Help Find the Best Solutions in Benefit of our Patients from the time you walk-in without having to wait in line and when you are personally assisted with the billing process. We are here to help you get well and stay well!